Monday, February 7, 2011

Congrats to the Packers

I picked the Packers to win this game 26-22. The game went pretty much like I thought it would, the biggest exception being the score didn't stay close throughout the game.  The Packers were starting to run away with it in the first half and the Steelers deserve credit for getting back in the game and almost winning.  That last offensive series for Pittsburgh was awful, though.  That series was a huge whiff on the largest stage in all of sports.  The other thing I didn't foresee was all the dropped passes by Green Bay.  If not for those it would have been lights-out sooner.

Pittsburgh has some re-loading to do.  They're not going to win another championship with that average offensive line and receiver corps.  Big Ben also needs to cool it with the interceptions.  He's been throwing quite a few lately, but I'll blame that (for now) on his offensive line that is clearly not up to Pittsburgh's usual standards.  This also prevented the Steelers from running the ball effectively against the Packers which is what they really needed to do.  That was the key to Pittsburgh winning, in my humble opinion.  They also failed to take advantage of the Packers' other weakness, which is kick coverage.

The thing is there is so much parity today no team is without flaws.  Every team is so-so or worse at certain positions.  Every team can either be run on, passed on, their offense stinks to one degree or another, or they can't cover kicks.  New England and Indy didn't defend well all year.  Baltimore finally has an offense but their defense is fading.  The Saints offense isn't as potent as it was last year and their defense is getting downright ordinary.  At least the games are close as a result, but I'd rather have the days of dynasties when certain teams were good top-to-bottom.  I think those teams will be the most remembered.

Now, if the Bills can only get it together next year, if there is a season at all.  Yeah, I'm wishing for a lot, aren't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment