Thursday, February 10, 2011

Egyptian "President" Mubarek Stepping Down

I guess this is a good thing.  It depends on what sort of government replaces him.  I'm not defending him.  Anyone who calls himself a "president" for thirty years is not a president as we know presidents to be.  I've noticed throughout my life that communist and many Arab countries have "presidents" who are in office an awfully long time and don't face the voters like any republic would expect them to.  Egypt and Cuba are two of the best examples I can think of.  Hugo Chavez of Venezuela is a newcomer in this, taking office democratically then stripping his parliament of all power until he is the undisputed ruler for as long as he likes.  At the same time he began taking over his country's industries and is destroying their economy in the process. He began as a man of the people and now the people are afraid of him.  The only real difference between Chavez and Fidel Castro is he took total power in stages.  Castro did it all at once.  Let that be a lesson to all.  If there are any non-communist or non-Arab countries who have "presidents" who stay in office for decades please bring it to my attention.  At this point in my life I believe these are the most dishonest governments in the world.

As for the current situation in Egypt, our administration is all over the map.  Depending whether you listen to the president, his cabinet members, or his White House spokesman, the administration wants Mubarek to stay in power until reforms can be enacted, long enough for there to be an orderly election process, or he should step down right away.  Egypt does have a constitution and it was reported that another election needs to take place before Mubarek steps down.

This administration is very weak in the area of foreign policy, something we can't afford these days.  I'm generally not in favor of deep foreign entanglements as our founding fathers warned us about, but on the other hand this world is getting smaller and more dangerous by the day.  Due to this, forging and maintaining alliances with countries that are interested in free societies, free trade, and common defense needs to be maintained.  Our founders, wise and well-intentioned as they were, with a constant eye on maintaining liberty, didn't imagine jets, missiles, and nuclear weapons.

I suspect Obama wants there to be an Islamist government in Egypt.  He seems to like radical Islamists and doesn't like Jews, England, or the United States for that matter.  He seems to view the United States as a colonial power, which is ridiculous.  Colonial powers, like the British Empire, occupied the countries they colonized and granted them few rights.  The United States has never done this, but he seems to view both America and Britain in the same negative light.

From the beginning I've wanted to believe the best in him, but knowing about his radical associations and mentors, what's in the books he's written, his patterning his life after his father, and identifying himself with several self-proclaimed communists, I can only worry.  I suspect he doesn't want the American people to know that he'd be happy if Egypt becomes much more like Iran politically.  In defense of his father, I can understand him not liking colonial powers, since he came from Kenya, a former British colony, but his favoring communism is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Obama seeming to favor Islamists over Jews, particularly Israel, is a real head scratcher for me.  There are many who think Jews control our whole banking system and economy, which I think is ridiculous.  Jews are only 4% of the American population, so if they're really running the show what does that say about the rest of us?  If that is true, that means 4% run the other 96%, so that would mean Jews are actually far superior to everyone else so they deserve to be in charge.

I can't help being logical, folks.  With a scientific background it's something I can't avoid.  I respect my profession and real science, so I apply the same logic to all areas of life, except maybe motorcycles and women.  That is where I allow my emotions do the talking.  Anything that is worth believing should be able to withstand honest scrutiny.  That's why even though I was raised to be a union Democrat I no longer believe much of what I was taught when I was young.  Once I was married, had a family, and began paying attention to current events, governmental affairs, and my life's experiences, it all began chipping away at almost everything I believed.  As a result, my collectivist indoctrination dissolved like a sugar cube in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment